Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Terriers Give Bombers Stiff Test, Fall 4-3.

Photo Credit: Simple Shots By Jackie

YORKTON, SK: Justin Lies’ second of the game, 7:16 into the third period, stood up as the game-winner as the Flin Flon Bombers erased a 3-0 deficit and defeated the Yorkton Terriers 4-3 inside Westland Insurance Arena.

It was a picture-perfect start for the Terriers in the opening twenty minutes as they ambushed the best team in the country with three goals on their first nine shots. First, it was Dylan Ruptash opening the scoring 1:12 into the hockey game after Captain Clay Sleeva made an unbelievable behind-the-back no-look-pass out front, and Ruptash was able to beat Flin Flon goaltender Kenneth Marquart five-hole for a 1-0 lead. Just under two minutes later, the home side struck again; this time, off the rush, Jeff Hammond dashed in down the left side and snapped home his 5th of the season for a 2-0 advantage. Then, moments later, the Terriers took advantage of a mad scramble in front of the Bomber’s crease, and Anthony Domina was fortunate enough to be in the right spot at the right time and jam home his 4th of the year.

The goal chased Marquart, allowing three on nine shots. The Bombers captain Justin Lies got his team on the board beating Farrow blocker side, for his 17th of the year. The Bombers outshot the Terriers 13-10 in the opening twenty minutes.

In the middle frame, the Bomber’s offence poured on the pressure with 9 of the first ten shots of the second period thanks to three straight powerplays. They were given a double minor penalty when Riley Niven was clipped with a high stick. The Terriers killed off the first half of the four-minute penalty, but the Bombers finally struck as Adam McNutt picked the top corner, cutting the lead to one.

The Terriers did have a push of their own in the final stages of the second period and were handed a powerplay when Dawson Karol hammered Tyson Perkins behind the net. Perkins stayed down for a while and was attended to by the Trainer, but he skated off on his power. The Terriers could not capitalize on the man advantage and carried a 3-2 lead into the third period. The bombers outshot the Terriers 10-8 in the middle frame.

In the third period, the Bombers quickly took advantage of a defensive zone turnover, as Koan Sneft pounced on a loose puck in front, tying the game at three. The Bombers grabbed their first lead of the hockey game when the captain found the back of the net for the second time. He ripped one short side, beating Farrow for a 4-3 lead. The Terriers had a late powerplay opportunity to tie the game but failed, going 0/5.

With the loss, the Terriers fall to 8-12-2 on the year and will look to get back in the win column Sunday against this same Flin Flon team; puck drop is 5:00 PM.