Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Terriers Fall 3-2 in Preseason Opener

Yorkton, SK: Payton Hu and Ryder Rommalaere scored in the shootout, and goaltender Ryan Piekarski stopped 13/15 as the visiting Weyburn Red Wings defeated the Yorkton Terriers 3-2 to open preseason play.

In the opening frame, the Terriers’ offence went to work quickly. Clark Furman picked up a loose puck in the shot and picked the top corner over the glove of Red Wings goaltender Ryan Piekarski. A short time later, Ryder Woods’s shot found the back of the net, doubling the Terriers’ lead. The Terriers penalty kill was tested when they took two penalties quickly. First, it was Alexey Korobko who got the gate for cross-checking, then 58 seconds later Woods went off for tripping, giving the Red Wings a 5 on 3 man advantage for 1:02. They just 52 seconds to find the back of the net as Wyatt LaCoste tipped a Jackson Murphy point shot passed Terriers goaltender Blake Sittler. The Terriers got a powerplay of their own when Ryley Cyca got called for tripping. The Terriers nearly regained their two-goal lead, but Piekarski was up to the task, stoning Tylan Henrickson with the left pad, keeping it a one-goal game. The Terriers got outshot 9-6 in the first period.

In the middle frame, the Red Wings started to take over the game with numerous chances. 6:45 into the second period, after a Terriers defensive zone turnover, it was Red Wings forward Lucas Schmid picking up a loose puck and ripping it blocker side on Sittler, deadlocking the score at two. The Terriers had a powerplay a short time after, but the Red Wings had the best chance, as Ty Russel was denied on a partial breakaway. Wyatt LaCoste was then called for cross-checking, giving the Terriers a third consecutive powerplay, but they failed to record a shot on goal. The Red Wings had a flurry of chances after Terriers goaltender Luke McKecknie entered the game. First, it was Russel with a breakaway after the puck hopped over the stick of Terriers Defenceman Korobko, but Russel whipped it high and wide. Then defenceman Jackson Murphy snuck in from the point and found himself wide open in the slot, and McKecknie was forced to make a left pad save. Then with 30 seconds left in the middle frame, McKecknie made the best save of the hockey game, robbing Liam Fitzgerlad with the glove hand, keeping it a 2-2 game. The Red Wings Outshot the Terriers 8-2 in the second period.

In the third period, the Terriers and Red Wings each took a pair of penalties, including a lengthy 5 on 3 for the Red Wings. Carter Hensch had the best chance on the man advantage but was robbed in the slot by McKecknie. The Terriers had a pair of clean breakaways. First, it was Grady Keith, but the puck rolled off his stick when he deked to the backhand. Then, moments later, Furman had a breakaway after a couple of Red Wings collided at the Terriers blueline, but Piekarski stopped him, keeping it a 2-2 tie. The Red Wings outshot the Terriers 13-6 in the third period, as we needed overtime in the preseason opener.

Both teams had a couple 2 on 1 chances in the extra frame, but both goaltenders were up to the task, as we needed a shootout.

Payton Hu opened the shootout for the Red Wings, beating McKecknie under the glove hand to give the visitors a 1-0 edge. Dylan Schoenroth was tabbed to go for the Terriers, but he was denied by Piekarski, who got the left shoulder on it. Ryder Rommalaere was chosen to shoot next for the Red Wings, and he kept it real simple, skating right up the gut and slipping one five-hole past McKecknie, giving the Red Wings a 2-0 shootout lead. Meaning Kierin

Osberg had to score to extend the shootout. He made a deke to his forehand, but Piekarski kept it out with his right pad, sealing the 3-2 victory for the Red Wings. Blake Sittler stopped 11/13 shots, and Luke McKecknie stopped all 20 shots he faced. Ryan Piekarski stipped 12/14 shots.

The Terriers will be back in action tomorrow night at home against the MJHL’s Waywayseecappo Wolverines.