Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Terriers Down Wings In Monday Night Thriller

Photo Credit: Luke Walters

Erik Boers had two goals and a helper, while Tresor Wotton claimed his first career SJHL win, as the Yorkton Terriers defeated the Weyburn Red Wings 5-3 in a rare Monday night game. Parker Jasper and Colby Vranai were credited with a pair of assists, while ten different Terriers found their way onto the score-sheet.

Both offences exploded in the second half of the first period. Yorkton opened the scoring with Jasper finding Boers sneaking in behind the Red Wing defense, and the 20-year-old fired the shot underneath the pad of Jackson Fellner to give Yorkton a 1-0 lead. The Red Wings tied it at one. Kirk Mullen, the former Terrier, sped away on a 2-on-1 and found Davis Chorney on the back door, who buried the puck pass Wotton. Weyburn then took the lead on a controversial play. Mi-Kwan Tallman steamed in on Wotton, and as he collided with the Yorkton net-minder the puck slid into the goal. After a lengthy discussion, the referees decided to let the goal count, giving Weyburn a 2-1 lead. It wouldn’t last long as less than a minute later, Boers deflected a point shot from Jasper past Fellner for a power-play marker, tying the game at 2-2.

Weyburn claimed their second lead of the game early in the second period. A turnover at the Red Wing blue-line led to an odd man rush for Weyburn. Tallman fired a shot off the pads of Wotton and Ethan Clements followed up the rebound burying the puck into an open net to give Weyburn a 3-2 lead. However, the script would get flipped quickly by the Terriers with two goals in the span of 28 seconds. Steven Norum found a wide-open Kishaun Gervais in the left face-off circle, and the 20-year-old from the Keeseekoose First Nation sniped the top corner, over the glove of Fellner, for his team leading 13th goal of the season. Then the fourth line took their moment to shine, as a shot from JD Hall ricocheted off the pads of Fellner right to Karsten Kruska, who snapped a nine game goalless drought to give Yorkton a 4-3 lead heading into the break.

Back and forth both teams went, and it was Yorkton who found the insurance marker. A shot from Boers was blocked, before Tyson Janzen scooped up the loose biscuit, snapping a shot past Fellner to make it 5-3 Yorkton, a score they would take to the final whistle.

The Terriers will now embarked on a difficult three game road trip in four nights. Yorkton will travel to Estevan on Thursday for a rescheduled game, before visiting Humboldt on Friday, and wrapping up the road trip against Notre Dame on Sunday.