Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Third Period Downs Yorkton In Wilcox

Photo Credit: Simple Shots By Jackie

The third period continues to be the Achilles heel for the Terriers as they gave up four goals in the final frame in a 6-5 loss to the Notre Dame. With the loss, Yorkton falls out of a playoff spot and sees their losing streak extend to six games. Colton Koran had a three point night, Maddux Nollski and Dylan Ruptash both had a goal and a helper, while Caleb Allen stopped 41 shots in the loss.

The Hounds had the lone goal in the first period, and it came 1:30 in. Allen threw the puck right up slot onto the tape of Evan Vanden Heuval, and the Notre Dame forward made no mistake giving the Hounds a 1-0 lead. The Terriers came out storming in the second period. On an odd man rush, a pass from Jackson McDonnell ricocheted off the skates of Aiden Knutson by Johann Tremblay-Kau to tie the game at 1-1. Yorkton took their first lead of the game five minutes later. Fresh out of the penalty box, Colton Koran crashed the net, jamming home a rebound for his first goal of the season. The Hounds tied the game at 2-2. Off an offensive zone face-off, Vanden Heuval found a wide open Dane Probe in the slot, and he fired the puck over the shoulder of Allen for his third goal of the campaign. Yorkton restored their lead on the power-play. A pass from the left face-off circle by Ruptash went into the blue paint, and crashing the goal was Nollski, jamming home his fourth goal of the season. The Terriers added one more before the end of the frame. Ruptash forced a turnover in the neutral zone and had a breakaway on Tremblay-Kau, lifting a shot into the top corner to make it 4-2.

Then the third period happened. Hounds scored less than a minute into the frame. Vinny Palmarin skated into Yorkton’s zone and hammered a shot into the top corner to make it 4-3. Another Hound scored his first career SJHL goal, this time to tie the game. A shot by Jaryd Sych was fumbled by Allen and Keagan Merriman scooped home the rebound to make it 4-4. Hounds got their second lead of the game just after the halfway mark of the third period. A point shot by Sych was deflected past Allen by Mathieu Fehr, and Notre Dame led the game 5-4. The Terriers tied up the game shortly afterwards. A Nollski shot was steered aside by Tremblay-Kau, but charging the net was Koran, who stuffed home his second goal of the game to make it 5-5. The Hounds got the last  laugh after a missed call by the refs led to a power-play for Notre Dame. On the ensuing man advantage, Vanden Heuval snapped home his second goal of the game to give the Hounds a 6-5 lead that they would not give up.

The Terriers continue their road with another trip to Wilcox next Friday. Puck drop is at 7:30pm.